Families, start your engines.
Every year thousands of race fans descend on the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, a huge multi-track facility east of Toronto, to cheer on the top stock car drivers from across the country in the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series. And hey, you don’t need to be a NASCAR know-it-all to join in.
Part of the Victoria Day SpeedFest, the non-stop on-track action begins Friday, May 16th and runs until Sunday, May 18th. Yes, there are zooming cars revving to be the speediest around the 3.975-km track. But there are tons of family-friendly activities to keep the everyone’s motor running, even if you don’t have lil car fanatics in TOw. Here are some sure-to-please activities:
- Hit the Canadian Tire Action Zone for play time for the whole family: accuracy games, mini-golf, obstacle courses, bouncy castle and face painting. (Sat 10 am – 6 pm / Sun from 10am – 5pm.)
- Head to the Canadian Tire Fan Zone to watch the on-track action. These are the best seats so arrive early. The three grandstands (shaded and with complimentary snacks) are first come first served. (Sat 10 am – 6pm / Sun 10 am – 5pm.) *
- Stick around for fireworks. (Sat at 9 pm.)
- Meet the drivers, get their autographs and check out their cars. (Sun at 11:30 am.)
- Don’t miss the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series final — 31 drivers do 51 laps (Sun 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm.)
Kid-friendly: In addition to the to-do suggestions above, there is also a playground in the family camping area.
Tired feet: Get a ride with one of the Jumpstart Courtesy Shuttles with a donation to the Jumpstart Foundation.
Snacks: Restaurant and food and drink vendors onsite. You may also bring in your own food and drinks.
Potty time: Family washrooms (with baby change table) and quiet area in the family camping area.
*Ear-plugs: It gets noisy close to the track so its strongly recommended to bring ear plugs or baby/toddler-sized head phones to dampen the sound.
Camp: There is a special family campground. Just purchase a Weekend SuperTicket ($60) to purchase a camping pass. Special family campground.