Here we go – 10 days of ‘holiday’ (so my kids call it) are coming up. If you’re hanging around ‘holidaying’ in Toronto for March Break, we have rounded up 10 ideas to fill your days while school is out.
1. Digital Holiday – this is far from a break from technology, but it’s the kind of ‘screen time’ you can feel really good about. TIFF KIDS’ digiPlaySpace is a digital playground for the little coders and techies in TOw.
TRIP TIP: Double your fun with by pairing it with one of the 100+ kid-friendly TIFF Kids International Fest Film selections.
Family Day weekend first stop: sneak peek of this year's edition of digiPlaySpace, @TIFF_Net's annual digital playground where virtual, digital and real worlds collide in the most awesome and creative way. This year does not disappoint. It's on until April 22nd – be sure to stop by. See why (more views in stories.) #kidsinTO #toronto . . . #toronto #kidsinTOw #instakids #todotoronto #torontoevents #familyday #digiplayspace #tiffkids
2. Destination Science – A full-day ‘vacation’ can be had at the Ontario Science Centre. This year it’s all about robotics, with a Drone Zone and Pop Bots (build-your-own balloon carrying robot). New for March Break is a Castle Builder exhibition (think knights and Lego, literally Lego!) and the return of the IMAX presentation of Coral Reef Adventures.
TRIP TIP: More movies please? Take a cheap trip to a matinee screening of films like Wonder, The Boss Baby, Ferdinand and Despicable Me 3 for $2.99 at participating Cineplex theatres from March 12 to 16, 2018.
3. Artful Adventure – The Art Gallery of Ontario is all dotted up with the Yayoi Kusama exhibition. While you need an advanced ticket to check out her Inifinity Rooms (see tip below), there is lots of colourful hands-on fun for the kids like kaleidoscope and lantern-making, shadow play.
TRIP TIP: The next slot of tickets for the Infinity Mirrors go on sale Tuesday, March 6, 2018.
4. Escape Room Experience – For March Break only, Disney Studio’s Wrinkle in Time Escape Room is at the CN Tower. Reservations required and it’s FREE. Looking for other places to lock up the kids? We highly recommend Looking Glass Adventures – they have three family-friendly escape room adventures.
TRIP TIP: From the CN Tower, head next door to the Aquarium – open every day at 9 a.m.
How cool is this! Test your #escaperoom skills this weekend and daily during #MarchBreak from 10am-4pm. Be sure to book your spot in advance. ・・・ Want to Race the Darkness in Disney’s A Wrinkle in Time Escape Room? Come on down to the @cntower and play for free! Click the link in our bio to book your spot now. #WrinkleInTimeEscape #Toronto
5. Beach holiday – Sugar Beach is the site for the urban sugar shacker. (Sugar Shack T.O. is on March 10-11 weekend only.) Head to Woodbine Beach for this year’s edition of Winter Stations. Both are FREE!
6. Just of Laughs – Second City presents the family-friendly show The Misfit League, a tale that explores why you should never judge a hero by their powers, on every day of March Break.
7. Stand Guard – Travel to Fort York National Historic Site for soldiers’ drill classes, officers’ sword drill, music workshops and costume dress-up.
8. Raptors– Tickets start at $9.05 to take in top-notch b-ball with the Raptors 905. The Raps will be sporting a Filipino-themed Jersey at the Saturday, March 10 game at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga. What to expect.
9. Medieval Battles – Take in some epic jousting between six knights and horses at the Medieval Times. Two daytime shows every day during March Break.
TRIP TIP: While you’re in the hood, head south from the ‘Toronto castle’ in Exhibition Place down to Ontario Place in Winter. Skating (on synthetic ice) and a bonfire (lit from noon – 4 pm weekdays.) Admission is FREE and is only on until March 18th.
10. Viking Village – Lots of extra hands-on action like DIY Viking bling using spirals, braids and symbols, shield-making, Viking games and learning the runic alphabet. Plus all the good stuff you can always expect at the ROM – extended hours until 7 pm. Full line-up is here.
TRIP TIP: Hey moms in T.O. the Dior Exhibition is still on until April 8th!